Quirks of Japan

It's been a little while since we had a post, so here's a new one for y'all. Nothing complicated, just some things that we have noticed since we came to Japan. These aren't good or bad things, just things we noticed as being different. So enjoy!

· When you buy something, it will get marked. Usually this is with some kind of tape, so the cashier will put your goods in a bag, then seal the bag with a piece of tape at the top. Or even when you go into 7/11 and buy a single item, they’ll put a little piece of tape that says 7/11 on the item to show it’s been purchased. Pretty much everywhere does this thing.
And when you make a purchase, there's usually a little tray or something to put your money or card on. It's kinda considered rude to just hand the money to the person, so you have to put it in/on the tray, which they will take, then put your change and receipt on it and hand it back, or sometimes just hand it back to you. Not all places are like this, like 7/11 isn't, but most other stores are.
Oh and this is just a side-note, but it's common to pay in exact change, or exact-ish. I remember in America always just breaking a bill and having tons and tons of change pile up till I took it to a Coinstar. But in Japan, since the equivalents for $1 and $5 are in coin form, people use their coins a lot more. People even use their 1 yen coins...sometimes. (unlike pennies, which just take up space and are useless)

· There are no public garbage bins. Anywhere. Even during festivals where people are walking around and buying food, there’s nowhere to put your garbage. I’ve just seen people carry plastic bags with them so they can put their garbage in it and carry it around. Oh, and walking around while eating is weird. Try not to do it. Drinking is too, but I see people break that social rule quite a bit.

· There are 3 items that you will likely receive more than once during your time in Japan
o 1. Small packets of tissues, usually advertising something or supporting a campaign, such as Don't do Drugs! or Support this Public Official Person!
o 2. Paper fans, again usually advertising something, though these are more common in the summer because of the heat.
o 3. Pens. But not just regular pens, tri-color pens, usually with blue, red, and black ink. If you have businessmen or other semi-important people come around to your place of work, or if you attend some kind of conference, you’ll likely be given one of these things. For some reason these pens are super popular in Japan. Like almost all of my students have some sort of multi-colored pen. Even I do at this point. Maybe because they always write in black, but always correct papers/homework in red...I don't know. But I now have a cool pen. Actually, 2 of them. Cause some guy gave me one when his organization visited the school.

· Companies own a lot of things and they are happy to remind you of this. For example, the company Asahi is known for its beer. But you’ll see that logo on LOTS of other things. And not even just other drinks like Calpis (or Calpico in the states); they also produce things like the Mintia breath mints and other food products. I know, you're probably thinking maybe this isn't that odd. But look at Coca-cola. They are a HUGE company, but I've checked, and all of their brands are types of drinks. Asahi, on the other hand, owns a much broader variety of things. Plus, you know, alcohol.

· Phone cases. OK, so most people have some kind of case to protect their phone, that’s not abnormal. But in Japan, most phone cases are flip cases, designed with a couple pockets on the inside so you can store cards or bills, like your train pass. At first I didn’t see the big deal with this, until I started taking the train. I’d have my phone out, because I wanted to check where I was, or was bored and playing a game, etc. But to get out of the station I’d also have to get out my wallet with my train pass. I didn’t want to just take out my pass card in case I dropped it, so I was always carrying my wallet (I could leave my card in the wallet and still have it be read by the scanner) and my phone in my hands. Now, obviously this is not some great feat. It was just annoying. Which is why if you get a phone case with card holders, you don’t have to keep getting your wallet out and putting it away, you can just carry your phone. And of course, the cases will usually have holes in them to put your favorite phone strap on. I had three on my phone, which may have been excessive.

· People are super helpful. I don’t know if they just put on a good front or what, but whenever I need help in a store, go into a business, eat out at a restaurant, whoever works at that place is usually very willing to offer their services, usually with a smile. Now I’ve worked and seen people in the service industry. I know sometimes you have to fake it. I have no idea if this idea of faking it is just taught to everyone in Japan, so most of them master it, or if they are just genuinely helpful people. Either way, it’s nice being able to ask for help and not feel like you’re being a nuisance (even if it is the other person’s job to help you).

I am sure we will add to this list later, but for now I hope this keeps you entertained!

Comments

Popular Posts